Counselling Skills Level 2 Certificate (Intensive)
This Counselling Skills Level 2 Certificate programme is a part-time course where you’ll learn a variety of listening and responding skills which will enhance your interaction with others.
This course is highly interactive, combining formal teaching with individual, small group and whole group activities.
This qualification is for those:
- starting the first level of training as a professional counsellor
- who want to learn counselling skills in other professional or helping roles
- who want to improve their professional and personal relationships as part of personal development
- wanting to complete the Level 2 and 3 course in one year to gain entry to the Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (Intensive course only)
During the course you will learn:
- how to work safely and ethically in a helping session
- how to arrange and manage a helping session
- the role of difference and diversity and how these can influence a helping session
- the importance of self-awareness in counselling
- a variety of listening, responding and attending skills
- how to give and receive constructive feedback
This course is validated by the CPCAB (Counselling and Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body). CPCAB is an organisational member of the European Association for Counselling and their qualifications are internationally available. For more information, the CPCAB website can be accessed on www.cpcab.co.uk.
This course is 18 weeks in duration and each session is 5 hours (Friday 9.30-3.00). The classes are structured with a tutor-led element followed by a skills element, where you will put into practice what you’ve learned.
You will receive one-to-one feedback from your tutor at key points during the course to help you develop your skills and assess areas for development.
The course has two formal assessment elements and candidates need to be proficient in both to pass the course:
- external exam
- portfolio of evidence, which will involve a variety of documents including two assignments, reviews of your learning and feedback
Time commitment and independent study
There will be a minimum expectation set for the time spent completing homework tasks and independent study. This is likely to fluctuate at key points during the course, such as before the exam and when producing the two assignments.
Candidates must meet the following entry requirements:
- a minimum age of 18 years
- candidates will be required to submit a short writing task prior to interview to assess their literacy skills.
- an interview with the course tutor is a mandatory requirement before any places are confirmed.
- emotional stability*
- an ability to cope with course content**
- an ability to translate intra-personal experience into language
- be able to benefit from self-development
- be motivated towards developing as a helper
- identify reasons for training beyond just personal development
- demonstrate awareness of difference and diversity
*This qualification is not suitable for those who are currently in a state of severe emotional difficulty and/or severe psychological distress. **The nature of this course involves experiential elements that will involve some personal disclosure and associated personal developmental activities.
Disclaimer: Please note that if an applicant has experienced a significant life event in the last 6 months, such as a bereavement or recovery from a mental health issue, the college has the right to refuse the application and will recommend deferring due to the demands of the course. This can be discussed at interview.
After qualifying at Level 2, you can apply for the CPCAB Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies (part-time and intensive options available). The intensive Level 3 will follow on directly from the Intensive Level 2 course.
This qualification does not lead to employment. It is designed as pre-practitioner training for professional counselling qualifications, but it could also lead to employment in a related field.
Alternatively enrol by phone quoting CO/P/P2004 or ask a question
Meet the tutors
We want our learners to feel welcome, safe and at ease when attending our classes, especially if this is your first time attending an adult education class or if you're coming back to education after a break.
If you're interested in one of courses, meet our tutors first! You'll see they have similar passions and interests and, most importantly, the right qualifications to help you make the most of your time and money.