Certificate in Counselling Studies L3 (GUI) Eve
This counselling course is intended for those who want to take the next step in training to become a counsellor, who have already acquired counselling skills, and learn more about counselling theory and agency work.
The awarding organisation for this course is NCFE.
This course will give you some knowledge of various types counselling theory and how to apply it to client issues. You will also learn about ethics and mental health aspects which will prepare you for work as a professional counsellor within an agency setting.
- Prepare to work within an ethical framework for counselling
- Understand the counselling relationship
- Understand difference and diversity issues to develop empathic understanding
- Work within a user-centred approach to counselling
- Use counselling theory to develop self-awareness in counselling practice
- Understand theories of counselling and mental health
- Use feedback, reflection and supervision to support counselling studies
The classes are structured with a tutor led element followed by a skills element, where you will put into practice what you’ve learned.
You will receive one-to-one feedback from your tutor at key points during the course to help you develop your skills and assess areas for development.
Time commitment and independent study
There will be a minimum expectation set for the time spent completing homework tasks and independent study. This is likely to fluctuate at key points during the course, such as before the exam and when working on assignments.
To achieve the Counselling Studies Level 3 Certificate, learners must be assessed as proficient in all seven learning outcomes of the mandatory unit and must be assessed as proficient in both internal and external assessments.
The course has two formal assessment elements and candidates need to be proficient in both to pass the course:
- External exam
- Portfolio of evidence, which will involve a variety of documents including assignments, reviews of your learning and feedback
You must have undertaken and proficiently passed a counselling skills training course, e.g. our Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills or an equivalent qualification of at least 75 Guided Learning Hours from another institution.
This can be verified by providing: a Level 2 Certificate from a reputable training institution which abides by the Ethical Framework and guidelines set out by a recognised counselling association e.g. BACP. and a portfolio of work
- Minimum candidate age, 19 years old.
- Ability to translate intra-personal experience into language
- Able to benefit from self-development
- Emotional stability*
- Evidence personal insight
- Ability to form a counselling relationship
- Awareness of difference and diversity
- Able to cope with course content**
- Identify reasons for training beyond just personal development
- Be motivated towards developing as a counselling practitioner
*This qualification is not suitable for those who are currently in a state of severe emotional difficulty and/or severe psychological distress. **The nature of this course involves experiential elements that will involve some personal disclosure and associated personal developmental activities.
Disclaimer: Please note that if an applicant has experienced a significant life event in the last 6 months i.e. Bereavement or recovery from a mental health issue, the college has the right to refuse the application and will recommend deferring due to the demands of the course. This can be discussed at interview.
After qualifying at Level 3, you can progress to a Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling which qualifies you as a Counselling Practitioner.
This qualification does not lead to employment. It is designed as pre-practitioner training for professional counselling qualifications, but it could also lead to employment in a related field.
Alternatively enrol by phone quoting PQ10LE1A006P or ask a question
Meet the tutors
We want our learners to feel welcome, safe and at ease when attending our classes, especially if this is your first time attending an adult education class or if you're coming back to education after a break.
If you're interested in one of courses, meet our tutors first! You'll see they have similar passions and interests and, most importantly, the right qualifications to help you make the most of your time and money.