Community Learning: An Introduction to Horticulture for Beginners
If you’re curious about the plants you see in the world around you, or you perhaps want to know more about the intricacies of making compost, this relaxing and informative course has it all.
You’ll gain hands-on knowledge and advice from one of our horticulture specialists, whilst meeting and befriending like-minded people.
This is one of our Community Learning programmes.
Our Community Learning programme offers a series of FREE courses to develop skills, knowledge, confidence and improve mental well-being for adults aged 19 and over.
You are eligible for these funded places if you are aged 19 or over (at the start of the course) and either have:
- a mental health condition or difficulty
- are employed and earning an annual salary of less than £18,525 per annum
- in receipt of state benefit in your own name and unemployed or working and earning less than £338 per month (or £541 for household claims)
- are a single parent
- have a social or emotional difficulty.
For further details and terms and conditions please view our;CommunityWellbeing page.
- Vegetable growing
- Plant identification/Compost making and garden soils
- Plant propagation
- Container planting/Bulbs
All that’s required for entry onto this course is enthusiasm for the subject!
You may wish to bring along a notepad and pen to take notes.
There are many horticulture courses offered here at Merrist Wood and one of our admissions team or your tutor would be more than happy to discuss next steps with you, after this course.
Lunch is not provided so please feel free to use the catering outlets on site, or bring your own packed lunch and drink.
Free parking in the student car park.