Community Learning – Get to know your Woodland Flowers
Have you ever been for a walk and had questions about the landscape around you?
In this course, we will help you to identify some of the common woodland flowers. Much of the course is outside on the beautiful Merrist Wood estate.
Through identification using Field Study Centre guides, we will discuss some of the ecology and folklore associated with the flora.
This is one of our Community Learning courses.
Our Community Learning programme offers a series of free, government-funded courses to develop skills, knowledge, confidence and improve mental well-being for adults.
Participation can help those managing mental health conditions that have a mild-moderate impact on their day-to-day lives. You need to be aged 19 or over (at the start of the course) AND:
•employed and earning an annual salary of less than £20,319 or
•unemployed, in receipt of state benefit and looking for work
•have a social or emotional difficulty, or challenges with mental health or emotional wellbeing
For further details and terms and conditions please view our Community Wellbeing page.
On this course, you will learn:
- to identify 10-20 woodland plants, their folklore and herbal uses
- why some plants are rare, and others are common
- basic understanding of woodland ecology
- how to identify plants through their flower shape and structure
- how to undertake a basic plant survey
You will get to connect with like-minded individuals who enjoy learning about their local woodland.
Being outdoors allows you to reconnect with your senses. This will have a positive effect on your mental, emotional and physical wellbeing.
- A natural curiosity and a desire to learn.
- A willingness to get close to the natural world.
- Pens and paper to take notes.
- Old clothes and sturdy footwear.
- Wet weather clothing in case of rain.
- Sun cream and hat in case the weather is hot.
On successful completion of this course, you can go on to achieve qualifications in:
- Conservation of British Habitats
- Practical Habitat Management course
- Level 3 Diploma in Wildlife and Conservation
- other courses in the Nature Friendly Gardens series
Please search the website for further details.
Please note: There are no catering facilities open on a Saturday at the College. Please feel free to bring your own snacks and drinks.