Access to HE: Science
If you live in England, you might be able to do this course for FREE, see ‘Additional Information’ tab for more details.
Apply today and our team will confirm if you could qualify for free place, with no obligation.
An Access to Higher Education course is for students (19+) who have been out of full-time education for one or more years and would like to go on to higher education but do not have the formal qualifications needed. It is appropriate for those returning to education after a number of years, for example in employment, bringing up a family or having a career break. A high level of motivation is required to complete the course.
This course provides teaching and learning to enable mature students (19+) to gain the skills and knowledge to cope well with the academic demands of Higher Education.
Guildford College has links with local universities, although many students progress to universities much further afield as well. The course is taught by highly qualified staff who have considerable experience in teaching adult students.
Benefits of studying with Activate Learning:
- Designed exclusively for adults (19+)
- Supportive environment provided through tutors with subject expertise and includes guidance webinars for every module.
- One year programme equivalent to three A Levels, allowing you to achieve the qualification you need to progress to university.
- Widely recognised and accepted qualification by UK universities. This is validated and moderated by Ascentis under licence from the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education
- Help and guidance on writing your personal statement and completing your UCAS application
- Flexible learning enabling you to study whilst working and around personal commitments
- Funding with the Advanced Learner Loan available.
Each year, around 95% of our Access to HE students progress to university on completion of their programme, going on to over 100 different universities across many different degrees and disciplines.
Course Fees £3384
Remember:if you go to university and complete a degree, the loan for your Access course is written off by the Government.
- Mathematics for HE
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Pathogens and Disease
- Foundations of Chemistry
- Organic and Inorganic Chemistry
- ISU: Mandatory Unit
- Scientific Project
A variety of teaching and learning strategies will be employed including lectures, seminars, small group work and class discussions.
You will be provided with a course handbook detailing the structure and processes of the programme. Guidance is given throughout the course in subject choices, study skills, career and higher education opportunities.
The Guildford College Access to HE Diploma is validated by Laser Learning Awards and carries the Access kite mark, a guarantee of high standards.
To be eligible for a place on this programme, you must have a GCSE at grade 4 (C) or above in maths, or a Functional Skills Level 2 qualification. This applies to our Engineering pathway as well as our Science B pathway (with Physics) and Science C (with maths).
It is advisable that you have a grade 4 (C) or above in English prior to starting your Access level 3 course as the skills you will have gained from studying these qualifications will really help you on this programme.
Please note: If you wish to go on to study a medicine degree, most universities require five GCSEs, including English, maths, and science at grades 7–9 (A–A* equivalent).
- Applicants are advised to contact their university of choice to confirm the criteria.
- Some degrees require that you have some relevant paid or voluntary work experience, and this will also be checked at interview.
- Applicants must be aged over 19 and have been out of full-time education for a year.
- You will have a numeracy and literacy assessment to check your suitability to study at Level 3 and may have the opportunity to re-take either a maths or English GCSE alongside this course.
If you don’t meet the entry criteria, don’t worry! We have a range of one-year, Pre-Access courses available to help you get started.
There is also a wide range of support available at the college for students, including financial support.
Students who complete the Access to Science Diploma can progress to university to study for degrees in Biological or Biomedical Science, Environmental Science, Pharmacology, Sports Science, Chemistry, Natural Sciences, Medicinal Chemistry, Forensics, Radiography and other science related degrees.
To be eligible for funding, you will need to live in England. Anyone in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland will need to self-fund the course.
Level 3 Entitlement fee remission: If you are aged 19-23 and do not hold a prior full Level 3 qualification, you may be eligible to study the course for free. This would also depend on your location within the UK, but we would check this for you during your application process.
19+ Advanced Learner Loan:If you are aged over 23, or you are 19-23 with a full Level 3 qualification, you can fund the course with the Advanced Learner Loan supplied by Student Finance England. This loan will be wiped from your records if you progress to university and complete your studies! If you do not progress to university or a higher education course, you will not need to start paying back the loan until you earn over £25,725.00.
Remember: If you go on to study at university and complete a degree, the loan for your Access course is written off by the government.
Alternatively enrol by phone quoting AC01LF1A001P or ask a question