Up-Cycle your Jeans into a Drawstring Duffle Bag!
In this hands-on self-directed taster workshop, you will make a very cool and practical denim bag with drawstring closure and long straps for ease of wearing on your back. We all like to do our bit to reduce landfill and this is the perfect project to make use of your old jeans.
The joy of up-cycling is very satisfying and a unique way to explore your creativity. Ideas of how to decorate and personalise your bag will also be covered.
This self-directed online taster workshop will be set out in four sections which will cover the following:
- Introduction: denim is a heavy, but potentially versatile fabric. You will learn about its structure, properties, uses and little of its history.
- Getting Started: you will learn how to sketch your ideas, record measurements, and create a list of materials and tools required to make your uniquely designed bag.
- Lets Sew: using your own sewing machine you will follow the step by guide to making your bag. This will include instruction for basic assembly, decorative processes, linings and finishing’s.
- What Next:after completing your beautifully sewn up-cycled denim duffle bag you’ll be ready for your next project. Tutorial for some embellishing ideas will be included. You’ll be given details for consideration of your next course and signposts to useful websites and interesting articles will be provided for further research and reading.
This self-directed online taster workshop will guide you step by step through the design and making process with demonstrations and printable handouts to help along the way. The video will enable to stop, start and rewind, giving you complete control of your learning experience.
You will need:
- an old pair of jeans, several if different shades is desired
- ribbon or cord for drawstring
- sewing machine (size 16 needle is desirable)
- tape Measure
- fabric marker (tailors chalk, dissolvable pens)
- iron and ironing board
- haberdashery for decoration as desired (lace, braids, ribbon, felt, buttons)
Expand your bag making skills and enrol on our online Bags! course.We are offering a broad variety of online textiles and sewing course such as Embroidery Stitching, Make your own Designed Cushion, and other sewing courses.