Pre-Access to Higher Education
This part-time, Pre-Access course is designed for students who want to develop their English, maths and study skills to progress to the Access to Higher Education diploma.
You will study seven different units:
- Word processing software
- Time management
- Preparing for a career in the health and social care professions
- Ethical issues in health care
- Introduction to psychology
- Understanding health and safety in health and social care settings
- Introduction to human physiology for health care
You will also have the opportunity to take English and Maths GCSE as part of the course.
The course is taught through a combination of lectures, group work and independent learning activities.
The course is taught by experienced subject specialists and you will also have access to our library.
Assessment on this programme is through a combination of exams (approximately 30%) and coursework (approximately 70%).
Assessments are a mixture of:
- structured questions
To be eligible for a place on this programme, you do not need any formal qualifications.
For university however, you will need to have a GCSE at grade 4 (C) or above in both English and maths, or a Functional Skills Level 2 qualification. It is advisable that you have these qualifications prior to starting your Access level 3 course as the skills you will have gained from studying these qualifications will really help you on this programme.
Please note: If you wish to go on to study a medicine degree, most universities require five GCSEs, including English, maths, and science at grades 7–9 (A–A* equivalent).
- Applicants are advised to contact their university of choice to confirm the criteria.
- Some degrees require that you have some relevant paid or voluntary work experience, and this will also be checked at interview.
- Applicants must be aged over 19 and have been out of full-time education for a year.
- You will have a numeracy and literacy assessment to check your suitability to study at Level 3 and may have the opportunity to re-take either a maths or English GCSE alongside this course.
If you don’t meet the entry criteria, don’t worry! We have a range of one-year, Pre-Access courses available to help you get started.
There is also a wide range of support available at the college for students, including financial support.
Alternatively enrol by phone quoting 9BDFSFC00R or ask a question