Hand Tied Posies and Bouquets
This five-week evening course provides an introduction to traditional and contemporary hand tied floral designs suitable for the home, as well as a gift. You will explore a variety of flowers, foliages and techniques.
This course is designed for those interested in floristry or who are already in the industry and looking to update their skills.
At Merrist Wood College we pride ourselves on creating the balance between educating our customers on the technical aspects involved, whilst still allowing individual flair and creativity to leave with a unique and personalised arrangement.
Throughout this course, you will learn a variety of techniques per week, including:
- week 1: tied posy mixture of flowers
- week 2: gift wrapped bouquet
- week 3: stylish limited hand tied design
- week 4: grouped tied posy with collar
- week 5: front facing hand tied
You will learn through a mixture of practical and theory lessons.
To create your flower arrangements, you will be required to bring the following objects to each weekly session:
Week 1: tied posy mixture of flowers
- 15–20 flowers, such as, Roses, Iris, Germini, Carnations
- five secondary flowers, such as, Alstroemeria
- two stems of filler flowers, such as, Gypsophila, Limonium
- seven stems of 40cm foliage, such as, Pittosporum
Week 2: gift wrapped bouquet
- seven focal flowers, such as, Roses, Carnations?
- 3–5 spray Chrysanthemum
- 7–10 secondary flowers, such as, Alstroemeria, Eryngium, Lissianthus (can be two types)
- ten stems of 40cm foliage, such as, Tree ivy, Hard Ruscus
Week 3: stylish limited hand tied design
- five focal flowers, such as, Iris, Lily, Rose
- three tall flowers, such as, Gladiolus, Larkspur
- three 20cm, short stem foliage, such as, Pittosporum
- three 10cm, large Ivy leaves or small Fantasia leaves?
- a 60cm stem twisted willow
- string or raffia for tying
Week 4: grouped tied posy with collar
- 20 stems of mixed round form flowers, such as, a mixture of Germini, Rose, Dianthus, Aster
- willow for collar
- ribbon for tying
Week 5: front facing hand tied
- five tall flowers, such as, Larkspur, Roses, Spray Carnations, Lily’s
- 3 large Fantasia leaves
- seven 40 cm foliage stems (tall) ribbon for tying