Carpentry and Joinery Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard
Please note: This course is delivered in the workplace, and one day a week at our Blackbird Leys Technology Campus.
The broad purpose of the occupation is working with building materials (mostly wood) to create and install building components. This typically involves shaping and cutting materials, installing finished materials like partitions, doors, staircases, window frames, mouldings, timber floor coverings and erecting structural components such as floor joists and roofs.
All work needs to be carried out safely, using the appropriate tools and to the quality specified.
You will learn the necessary knowledge skills and behaviours, both at college 1 day per week and in the workplace, that will allow you to complete an end point assessment after approximately 24 months as a Site Carpenter.
This will include the use of the appropriate tools, materials and equipment to carry out first and second fix-site carpenter tasks including roofs. You’ll also carry out minor repairs or modifications and carry out work conforming to all current and relevant building regulations, quality standards and work instructions.
- You will attend college 1 day per week, where we will deliver a training programme that will help you to develop skills that you will put into practice in the workplace.
- This will form part of the off-the-job training that you will need to record prior to you completing the end-point assessment.
- You will compile a portfolio of evidence in the last 12 months that demonstrates your competency in the workplace, and will inform our progress coach and the employer that you are indeed ready to take the end-point assessment
On successful completion you’ll achieve:
Apprenticeship Standard in Carpentry & Joinery – Site Carpenter
- English and maths at Grade 3 as a minimum.
- You will be required to attempt an upskill to Functional Skills Level 2 as part of the programme.
- To be employed by an employer who would meet the range of work on a regular basis
On successful completion you can progress to an Advanced Carpentry and Joinery apprenticeship standard and associated trades.