Access to HE: Animal Management Level 3 Diploma
If you live in England, you might be able to do this course for FREE, see ‘Additional Information’ tab for more details.
Apply today and our team will confirm if you could qualify for free place, with no obligation.
Access to Higher Education qualifications are nationally-recognised, one-year, intensive Level 3 courses. They are a fast-track route to gaining the skills and qualifications you need to study at university and begin the career you’ve dreamed of.
This course has been specifically designed to help adult learners prepare to progress onto our programme of degrees here at Merrist Wood and other Universities and Colleges.
The course will assume no prior knowledge or experience in the animal industry as many adult learners are changing careers. It will help to develop a range of academic and study skills for those returning to education, as well as practical skills working with a range of species.
The course gives a strong introduction to the animal field for those changing careers; and also covers a range of study skills for those re-entering education. Our new £4.5 million Animal Management centre includes an exciting range of animal species; state of the art classrooms and IT suite. The Merrist Wood campus provides a stunning backdrop to your studies with a rural setting, acres of woodlands and an inclusive atmosphere.
Benefits of studying with Activate Learning:
- Designed exclusively for adults (19+)
- Supportive environment provided through tutors with subject expertise and includes guidance webinars for every module.
- One year programme equivalent to three A Levels, allowing you to achieve the qualification you need to progress to university.
- Widely recognised and accepted qualification by UK universities. This is validated and moderated by Ascentis under licence from the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education
- Help and guidance on writing your personal statement and completing your UCAS application
- Flexible learning enabling you to study whilst working and personal commitments
- Funding with the Advanced Learner Loan available.
Course Fees £5197
Remember:if you go to university and complete a degree, the loan for your Access course is written off by the Government.
The course will include the following topics:
- Animal Behaviour
- Animal Management
- Animal Health
- Animal Science
- Principles of Biology
- Animal Nutrition
- Inheritance and Evolution
- Research Project
- Academic Study Skills
- Essay Skills
- Personal Organisation
- Time Management
- Presentation and Communication Skills
Lessons will be primarily theory and will include lectures, seminars, group work, discussion and research activities. You will also complete practical activities on our well-equipped animal management unit and within the college laboratories.
This qualification is awarded by LASER.
To be eligible for a place on this programme, you do not need any formal qualifications.
For university however, you will need to have a GCSE at grade 4 (C) or above in both English and maths, or a Functional Skills Level 2 qualification. It is advisable that you have these qualifications prior to starting your Access level 3 course as the skills you will have gained from studying these qualifications will really help you on this programme.
Please note: If you wish to go on to study a medicine degree, most universities require five GCSEs, including English, maths, and science at grades 7–9 (A–A* equivalent).
- Applicants are advised to contact their university of choice to confirm the criteria.
- Some degrees require that you have some relevant paid or voluntary work experience, and this will also be checked at interview.
- Applicants must be aged over 19 and have been out of full-time education for a year.
- You will have a numeracy and literacy assessment to check your suitability to study at Level 3 and may have the opportunity to re-take either a maths or English GCSE alongside this course.
If you don’t meet the entry criteria, don’t worry! We have a range of one-year, Pre-Access courses available to help you get started.
There is also a wide range of support available at the college for students, including financial support.
This course is designed with progression to degree courses in mind. Tutors will support you in tutorials to complete your UCAS application and you can apply to a range of HNDs, foundation degrees and Batchelor’s degrees in animal related subjects. You could progress to one of the six exciting foundation degrees offered here at Merrist Wood, or to courses at many other Universities and Colleges. If however you decide not to progress to Higher Education you will have also gained a range of skills that will be a foundation for you to work upon to support progression to employment in the animal industry once you have gained further experience.
To be eligible for funding, you will need to live in England. Anyone in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland will need to self-fund the course.
Level 3 Entitlement fee remission: If you are aged 19-23 and do not hold a prior full Level 3 qualification, you may be eligible to study the course for free. This would also depend on your location within the UK, but we would check this for you during your application process.
19+ Advanced Learner Loan:If you are aged over 23, or you are 19-23 with a full Level 3 qualification, you can fund the course with the Advanced Learner Loan supplied by Student Finance England. This loan will be wiped from your records if you progress to university and complete your studies! If you do not progress to university or a higher education course, you will not need to start paying back the loan until you earn over £25,725.00.
Remember: If you go on to study at university and complete a degree, the loan for your Access course is written off by the government.
Alternatively enrol by phone quoting AC02LP1A009P or ask a question