NPTC Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross Cutting
This chainsaw maintenance and cross cutting course is designed to prepare a novice chainsaw user for the City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate of Competence in Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross Cutting.
Courses are taught by experienced, highly-skilled tutors who attend specific, annual, industry training programmes. The arboriculture workshops are fully resourced and the pro-active approach of the department ensures that all the chainsaws and related tools and equipment are up-to-date with modern technology and current legislation.
Merrist Wood has developed an excellent reputation for arboriculture expertise and coupled with our award-winning Learning Philosophy, we are able to offer a practical education, tailored to your needs.
All of this ensures Merrist Wood is the place to study this course.
The course includes:
- Identifying, inspecting and commenting on key parts of the chainsaw
- Preparing and operating the chainsaw to work safely without risk to the user, other people and the environment
- Carrying out daily and routine maintenance on the chainsaw
- Operating the chainsaw safely, effectively and comfortably in accordance with the practical risk assessment
- Identifying risk assessments and emergency procedures on a work site
Through a variety of practical and theory lessons.
You will need to bring
Personal Protective Equipment:
- *Chainsaw protective helmet (complying with EN 397)
- *Chainsaw protective trousers (type C) (complying with EN 381-5)
- *Chainsaw protective gloves (complying with EN 381-7)
- *Chainsaw protective boots (complying with BS EN ISO 20345:2004 and bearing a shield depicting a chainsaw
- Ear defenders (complying with EN 352)
- Face Visor (complying with EN 1731/Safety Glasses EN 166)
- Personal first-aid kit, including a large-wound dressing
*The items marked with an asterisk should bear the chainsaw logo and show the chain speed to which they have been tested.
You could go onto our other arboriculture courses or, following successful assessment, maintain and use chainsaws commercially.
Other courses offered at Merrist Wood College include:
- Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue
- Chainsaw Use Rope and Harness
- Aerial Rigging
The cost includes all instruction and use of equipment but not use of personal protective clothing.
Please note: Due to Covid restrictions PPE can no longer be hired from the College.
A map of the college will be supplied in your joining instructions. Please ensure you arrive early to locate your meeting place and ensure a prompt start time.