NPTC Manually Fed Wood Chipper Operations
This course is aimed at arborists, landscapers, grounds persons, estate workers and any other persons who may need to operate and maintain a manually fed wood chipper.
No formal requirements are necessary for this course, but students must be 16 years of age or over.
The course will cover basic generic and site risk assessments, current Health and Safety legislation and PPE.
However, it will mainly consist of the practical elements; you will be carrying out pre-start and post-operational checks, routine maintenance tasks and removal and replacement of the chipper knives. You will be asked to operate the wood chipper in a safe manner taking into account site and operator safety.
Through a variety of practical and theory lessons.
Courses are taught by experienced, highly skilled tutors who attend specific annual industry training programs. The arboriculture workshops are fully resourced and the pro-active approach of the department ensures that all the chainsaws and related tools and equipment are up-to-date with modern technology and current legislation. All of this ensures Merrist Wood is the place to study this course.
The City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Manually Fed Wood Chipper Operations assessment is integrated into the course.
- A safety helmet (complying with BS EN 397)
- Hearing protection (complying with BS EN 352) where the noise level exceeds 85dB
- Eye protection (a mesh visor complying with BS EN 1731 or safety glasses to BS EN 166).
- Safety boots with good grip and ankle support (complying with BS EN 345-1).
- Gloves with long, close-fitting cuffs that can be tucked into sleeves.
- Non-snag outer clothing.
Each person should carry a personal first-aid kit including a large-wound dressing.
If you have attended this training you may be interested in attended any of the following:
- Level 2 Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross Cutting
- Level 2 Award in the Safe Use of Stump Grinders
- Level 2 Safe Use of Handheld Hedge Cutters
- Level 2 Safe Use of Pedestrian or Ride-on Mowers
The cost includes all instruction and use of equipment, registration and assessment fees.
Catering facilities may or may not be open on site, therefore you are more than welcome to bring a packed lunch.
Please note: Due to Covid restrictions PPE can no longer be hired from the College.
A map of the college will be supplied in your joining instructions. Please ensure you arrive early to locate your meeting place and ensure a prompt start time.