Your Creative Business: Start-up (Online)
This four-week online course is for all creatives who wish to set up in business and learn about the benefits of becoming self-employed. This course will give you a practical introduction to the initial steps involved in launching your creative business start-up including generating and appraising ideas for your proposed venture.
The first part of the course focuses on exploring marketing tools and techniques used to raise the profile of your business within your target market. In the second half of the course, you will learn about the legal and financial considerations for your business start-up and gain knowledge and understanding about how to produce a robust and coherent business plan.
The course will conclude with an individual session with the tutor to discuss what steps to take to move your business to the next stage of its development.
There are a limited number of FREE places available on this course, for those aged 19 and over (at the start of the course) and who either have a mental health condition or difficulty, are employed and earning an annual salary less than £17,004 per annum, in receipt of state benefit in your own name and unemployed or working and earning less than £338 per month (or £541 for household claims), are a single parent, or have a social or emotional difficulty. For further details and to apply please email us.
To find out more and to view the terms and conditions please view our Community Wellbeing page.
Each live lecture with our expert tutor is one hour long and includes course notes and links to appropriate websites and presentations. You will be required to undertake research set by the tutor to assist you to develop your business idea and improve its viability. Each lecture is followed by a one-hour workshop in which you will discuss the findings produced by your research.
Course lectures and workshops:
- Identifying and appraising business start-up ideas, determining the products and services you will provide, exploring the skills you need to run your business, examining the best ownership (for example sole trader) for your venture, what resources will you need?
- What is your target market? How is it segmented? (Gender, age group, family situation, geographical area) What market research methods will you use? (Primary research, secondary research) What is business branding? How will you promote your business? (Flyers, exhibitions, social media, websites)
- Legal and financial considerations for a business start-up (the requirement to pay tax, registering with HMRC, employment legislation, health and safety)
- Developing a business plan (the benefits of a business plan, contents of a business plan)
- Online live interactive sessions
- Independent, orientated research between lessons
Learning Resources will stay available until the end of the academic year.
This is an online course. You will need a computer or any other mobile device, internet access, microphone, camera and speakers.
Your Creative Business: Branding
Your Creative Business: Promotion
Your Creative Business: Digital Skills