Spanish Beginners Year 1
This is a part-time course for beginners or people with no previous knowledge of the language, who are interested in learning some useful everyday phrases and basic grammar in a relaxed environment.
You can check your language level with our downloadable guide.
You’ll learn in a fun and supportive environment through a variety of engaging activities.
The tutor will use a range of resources (videos, games, role-plays and handouts) to supplement the coursebook.
Please note: this course does not run during the half-term/ end-of-term breaks.
- be introduced to the language, enabling you to communicate effectively in everyday situations at a basic level using all four language skills: speaking, writing, listening and reading
- learn about a variety of aspects of the culture in the countries where the language is spoken
- learn to talk about yourself, meet and greet people
- learn to order food and drink in a bar or restaurant and ask for the bill
- understand directions and booking a hotel room
- learn to go shopping for food and clothes and be confident using public transport
- be introduced to a basic understanding of the grammar
This course does not lead to a formal qualification, but we are happy to discuss ways to take a formal qualification.
The content of this course may vary according to the discretion of the tutor and the group’s learning pace.
Teaching methods include:
- audio/visual stimulation
- formal instruction
- group and pair work
You will have the chance to use the language in real-life situations through fun and engaging role-plays and lively group discussions. You will also have access to your class learning resources through your college’s online account and will be advised on specialised websites for home learning.
Furthermore, you will get the opportunity to develop your language skills according to your own specific needs.
For this course, you will initially need a notebook and pens. Your tutor will let you know about textbooks and other learning materials.