Simple Introduction to Surprinting: Cyanotype One Day Workshop
Under the guidance of our expert tutor, spend a creative and fun day learning about the cyanotype photographic process. Explore the art of slowing down using a photographic process that is over 150 years old and watch as the miracle of the sunlight’s Ultraviolet Light rays exposes the image you have chosen before your eyes!
By the end of the workshop, you will have created a simple Concertina Book using plant materials found in the garden of the Woodley Centre. The aim of this workshop is to provide you with an opportunity to learn an alternative photographic technique in a simple and fun way.
No previous experience is required, just an open mind and a desire to try something new. Please bring £5 on the day which is payable to the tutor to cover the cost of chemicals and photo paper.
- Learn how to expose and develop your cyanotype prints
- Make a simple concertina book
- You will be introduced to a variety of techniques and then experimenting with your materials which will build your confidence and your ability to further develop your creative practice
- Individual tuition and group discussion
- Develop your skills according to your individual needs
- We will explore the works and techniques of a selection of artists and photographers that use this process that will inspire you
- Demonstrations of the processes
- Learn how to plan and layout your work
- Create simple prints in sunlight
- Learn the basic skills required to create your own cyanotype prints
- Learn to fold and make a simple concertina book
- Demonstrations will inform you of effects that can be achieved
- The opportunity to then experiment with the materials will build your confidence and ability to manipulate materials
- Group discussion and showing of work at end of class to reflect in mini critique and display of your artwork encouraging self-reflection
- You will leave with your own unique of prints and a book
Please bring £5 on the day which is payable to the tutor to cover the cost of chemicals and photo paper.
Please bring a packed lunch and refreshments.
Bring with you any plant materials, stencils, lace, string, netting or any materials that you would like to create photographic images from.
Basic materials will be supplied but you may wish to bring your own:
- craft knife/scissors
- cutting mat
- scrap papers you have laying around such as packing paper, envelopes, magazines, book papers, anything you find interesting
- pair of gloves to protect hands, especially when cleaning (marigold type or other)
If there is very little sunlight we will use a Ultraviolet Light Box to develop your prints
If you have any skin sensitivities, please bring a pair of gloves to wear. Safety goggles and a basic mask can be supplied. Do let the tutor know and you will be supported to ensure Health and Safety measures are in place to support you.