Sewing a Skirt in a day
If you would like to learn how to sew a flared wrap skirt but have no idea where to start, then this intensive one-day workshop is for you!
On this one day of sewing and fun, you will make a flared wrap sample skirt which is cut directly on the fabric. Yes, you understood it correctly! With this method there is no need to make a paper pattern to cut a skirt!
This course is suitable for those with at least basic experience using their sewing machine. If you have no experience please be advised to enrol on our Simply Sewing course.
At the end of the day, you will take home your sample and a detailed easy-to-follow handout with images and instructions explaining step by step how to cut your skirt in your chosen fabric.
Please be aware that due to the nature of the workshop, all the samples will be made in one size, however the method can be used for any garment size you wear. You will have the opportunity to discuss with the tutor any ideas or questions.
You will learn how to finish your flared wrap sample skirt with a bias binding hem, interlined waistband and a pair of strings to tie the skirt around the waist.
Skill and techniques covered:
- how to take the correct measurement to make the skirt
- maths calculation to determine the measurements
- how to cut a flared wrap skirt without paper pattern
- how to finish the garment hem with bias binding
- how to interline and make a waistband with fusible interlining
- how to make a buttonhole by machine
Following simple instructions, you will learn how to prepare the fabric, the basic maths calculation necessary to determine the measurements used, marking the fabric to be cut, and make the skirt.
Depending on the level of your sewing skills, you will be able to finish (or almost finish) the garment sample to use as reference for future projects. In addition, you will have the opportunity to see numerous styles of flared wrap skirts to use as inspiration, as well as discuss ideas that you have for your own design. This method can be used to make a variety of different wrap skirts.
At the end of the day, you will take home your sample and a detailed easy-to-follow handout with images and instructions explaining step by step how to cut the skirt.
You will need to bring:
- 1.5 metre of calico fabric 150cm wide (calico is a 100% cotton fabric commonly used to make garment samples)
- white thread
- tailoring tape measure
- fabric scissors
- tailoring chalk
- if you wish to bring your sewing machine, please do so if it is in good working condition
- buttonhole foot for your machine if you have one