Counselling Skills Level 2 Certificate
The Counselling Skills Level 2 Certificate programme is a part-time course where you’ll learn a variety of listening and responding skills that will enhance your interaction with others.
This course is highly interactive, combining formal teaching with individual, small group and whole group activities.
This qualification is suitable for:
- those starting the first level of training as a professional counsellor
- those who want to learn counselling skills in other professional, or helping roles
- those who want to improve their professional and personal relationships as part of personal development
During the course you will learn:
- how to work safely and ethically in a helping session
- how to arrange and manage a helping session
- the role of difference and diversity and how these can influence a helping session
- the importance of self-awareness in counselling
- a variety of listening, responding and attending skills
- how to give and receive constructive feedback
Visit the CPCAB website for further details about this course.
This course is 30 weeks in duration and each session is 3.5 hours.
The classes are structured with a tutor-led element, followed by a skills element, where you will put into practice what you’ve learned.
You will receive one-to-one feedback from your tutor at key points during the course to help you develop your skills and assess areas for development.
The course has two formal assessment elements and candidates need to be proficient in both to pass the course:
- external exam
- portfolio of evidence, which will involve a variety of documents including two assignments, reviews of your learning and feedback
Time commitment and independent study
Homework will take approximately two hours per week, however this will increase at key points during the course, such as before the exam and when producing the two assignments that are required.
Candidates are required to pass an interview and have an English assessment test. This will inform the college of any additional support candidates may need to complete the written element of the course.
After qualifying at Level 2, you can apply for the CPCAB Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies (part-time and intensive options available). The intensive Level 3 will follow on directly from the Intensive Level 2 course.
This qualification does not lead to employment. It is designed as pre-practitioner training for professional counselling qualifications, but it could also lead to employment in a related field.