HNC Games and Animation
Recently we have gone through a time of unprecedented change and technological growth that no one could have predicted. This new world calls for a generation of digital visionaries.
The Higher National Certificate in Games & Animation, accredited by Pearson, will provide you with the core skills required for a range of careers in gaming and digital technologies.
Key programme features:
- One-year programme, delivered via blended learning
- Specifically developed for the world of work
- Good opportunity for those wanting to pursue a career and who prefer practical learning and teaching, to learn skills for a specific job
- Offers a great route to a higher qualification
- No exams! Courses are broken down into modules with practical tasks and ongoing assessments
South Central Institute of Technology
Institutes of Technology have been designed to create higher level technical qualifications, in partnership with employers to increase productivity and raise the standards of university-level technical education.
Activate Learning in collaboration with Milton Keynes College, is excited to introduce the new South Central Institute of Technology, working with leading brands such as Microsoft, KPMG, McAfee, Cranfield University, and Evidence Talks.
Activate Learning will be delivering the HNC Games and Animation from our industry standard technology suite which will have a blend of formal and informal teaching areas and agile project spaces. Reading is a prime location for tech businesses and organisations, and you will be able to accelerate your career, grow and develop your skills alongside a community of industry partners.
Home/EU* Fee for September 2022 entry: £6,165 per year
Please note: Tuition fees are published for the first year of entry only and may increase in subsequent years both for new and continuing students in line with an inflationary amount determined by the Office for Students.
*Fee information for European Union (EU) students: If your course starts on or after the 1st August 2021, you will no longer be eligible for financial support from Student Finance England unless you meet one of the following criteria:
- you are able to benefit from the citizens’ rights agreements
- you are an Irish national living in the UK or Republic of Ireland: benefits of Irish nationals under Common Travel Area guidance arrangement will continue
If you are interested in this course and would like an informal, no-obligation chat about the details of the course, how to sign up, or anything else, please get in touch and we’d be happy to help!
This programme will equip you with the knowledge and confidence to work across different digital technologies functions. This is a varied programme that will provide you with the core skills required for a range of careers in the gaming industry.
The Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Games and Animation provides a solid grounding which you can build on if you decide to continue your studies to Level 5 Higher National Diploma (Digital Technologies) or onto further higher-level study at university.
The programme is designed to be studied full-time over one academic year of 30 weeks, this is equivalent to three days a week. The HNC in Games and Animation is a qualification of a minimum of 120 credits.
Please note that as programmes are reviewed regularly, the module list may vary:
- Professional Practice in the Digital Economy (15 credits)
- Innovation and Digital Transformation (15 credits)
- Cyber Security (15 credits)
- Programming (15 credits)
- Big Data and Visualisation (15 credits)
- Cloud Fundamentals (15 credits)
- Principles of Animation (15 credits)
- Game Development (15 credits)
Teaching will take a blended learning approach in the form of lectures, seminars, feedback sessions, workshops and one-to-one support, both face to face and online.
You will be assessed through a mixture of written assignments, group assessment, peer assessment, portfolio assessment and practice-related coursework. You will also be supported with a wide range of learning resources made available via Activate Learning’s Online Learning Environment (ALO), including access to textbooks, articles and multimedia content.
You will have a range of support made available to you, including academic and pastoral support, learning support and access to bursaries. Please see our Support Pages for further information.
You will be expected to possess the following:
- a BTEC Level 3 qualification in Computing, IT, Engineering, Business, Esports or Creative Media Production with a minimum of a Merit overall
- a GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject. This profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades at A* to C (or equivalent) and/or 9 to 4 (or equivalent) in subjects such as maths and English.
- other related Level 3 qualifications
- an Access to Higher Education Diploma from an approved further education institution
- relevant work experience
Applications from students returning to education who do not possess the formal entry qualifications, but can demonstrate relevant industry experience, will be considered on merit but would normally be expected to have achieved a Level 2 Maths and English qualification.
Applicants whose first language is not English must also demonstrate that their level of English is acceptable by achieving a score in a recognised test such as:
- Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level B2
- PTE Academic 51, or
- IELTS 5.5 (reading and writing must be at 5.5)
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be perfectly positioned to study a HND in Games and Animation at Level 5, progress onto university or straight into employment. You could expect roles such as Games Designer, Junior Animator, Games Consultant, Animator, Games Developer, Animation Director to name but a few.
Applicants should apply through the UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) website. All courses will be listed under Activate Learning on the UCAS website.