Foundation Degree Kingston: Zoo Management
Investigate the behaviour and welfare of exotic and zoological species, supported by the study of a wide range of species in the College’s Animal Management Centre and in relevant commercial settings through visits to local animal collections.
Underpinning theory is delivered in the classroom. Industrial experience, assessed through the professional development module over two years, will be undertaken in a related field and will give you invaluable experience in your specialism with 200 hours to be undertaken each year at an animal collection or other relevant location.
You must have an interest in pursuing a career in zoo management. The programme is ideal if you have previous animal experience or if you have achieved a Level 3 related animal course, however this is not compulsory.
- New exciting Animal Management Centre including state-of-the-art facilities such as a desert biome, tropical biome and nocturnal room.
- Over 130 different animal species including meerkats, coatis, hornbills and red squirrels.
- Industry experience provides an invaluable opportunity to work in a variety of settings to support your chosen career path.
- Friendly learning environment with small class sizes and excellent student support.
- Merrist Wood College is highly regarded in the animal industry as the leading animal education establishment in Surrey.
- Taught by expert, passionate tutors with industry experience.
- You will have the opportunity to take part in one of our optional residential study tours which currently run in South Africa and Jersey.
Year 1: professional development in the work environment 1 (30 credits), animal breeding programmes and husbandry (30 credits), animal health, welfare and nutrition (30 credits), zoo management skills (30 credits). Total 120 credits.
Year 2: professional development in the work environment 2 (30 credits); research methods (30 credits); management of zoological collections (30 credits); global biodiversity and conservation issues (30 credits). Total 120 credits.
All students are supported with academic development and you will have access to a personal tutor.
A range of theory, practical and work placements.
The minimum entry qualifications for the programme are:
- A levels: 64 UCAS points normally in science based subjects
- BTEC: 64 UCAS points normally in science based subjects
- Access Diploma: Pass
Plus: You’ll also need an English and maths GCSE at grade 4 (C) and it is advantageous to have science (biology) or psychology.
A minimum IELTS score of 6, TOEFL equivalent is required for those for whom English is not their first language.
Please note: These entry requirements are subject to change.
Top-up to a BSc (Hons) in one more year at Merrist Wood College. A range of exciting new top-up degrees are currently being developed to start September 2019 (subject to validation). This programme is focused for learners that wish to work in animal collections within the UK or abroad in a zoological setting. Students could become keepers, trainers or nutritionists in collections.
Fees shown are per year. The academic regulations for this programme can be found on the University’s website.
Terms and conditions for enrolment can be found on our website.
Applicants should apply through the UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) website. This includes students already at Merrist Wood College. All courses will be listed under Guildford College on the UCAS website.