Community Learning: Applique and Machine Embroidery
This is a creative, practical, and relaxed applique course where you can spend some quality time learning new skills making beautiful unique applique items. Applique is the art of applying one decorative fabric image to another to create a design that can be applied to many items such as a book cover, PE bag, cushion cover or a special keepsake or a personalised present.
Under the guidance of our experienced tutor, you will learn tips and tricks to design and make individual projects using a sewing machine, so you can have a finished and successful item to take away and be proud of.
This is one of our Community Learning courses.
Our Community Learning programme offers a series of FREE courses to develop skills, knowledge, confidence and improve mental wellbeing for adults aged 19 or over.
You are eligible for these funded places if you are aged 19 or over (at the start of the course) and also meet one or more of the following criteria:
- either have a mental health condition or difficulty
- are employed and earning an annual salary less than £17,004 per annum
- in receipt of state benefit in your own name and unemployed or working and earning less than £338 per month (or £541 for household claims)
- are a single parent
- have a social or emotional difficulty
For further details and terms and conditions please view our Community Learning page.
On this course, you will learn
- confidence using the sewing machine
- applique design and techniques
- embellishment techniques, hand embroidery
- finishing techniques
- how to turn your designs into beautiful unique applique items
Teaching methods include:
- individual tuition and guidance
- practical demonstrations and experience
- troubleshooting problems
Basic materials will be supplied but you may wish to bring your own fabric, threads, ribbons and buttons.
We have a range of fabrics and threads available for you to use but the patterns and colours may not be your choice.
- ideas you have for your design
- enthusiasm and a willingness to learn
Refreshments and snacks are available to purchase on site.
Alternatively enrol by phone quoting AC/M/PX307 or ask a question
Meet the tutors
We want our learners to feel welcome, safe and at ease when attending our classes, especially if this is your first time attending an adult education class or if you're coming back to education after a break.
If you're interested in one of courses, meet our tutors first! You'll see they have similar passions and interests and, most importantly, the right qualifications to help you make the most of your time and money.