Community Learning: Making Mosaics
Even if you don’t consider yourself an artist, this beginner mosaic course will introduce you to creating your own artworks. Your professional tutor, Jacqui Peedall has 30 years of experience with the discipline and can offer commercial insights.
Your training will inspire you to express yourself through assembling shapes, piece by piece to form a cohesive visual!
Participation and creativity can offer relief and increase your wellbeing, having a positive effect on your day to day life! Within a community of like-minded individuals, you will have the opportunity to create your own interpretations of the lesson content. This freedom to experiment will flow as the atmosphere is relaxing and welcoming.
Our Community Learning programme offers a series of free, government-funded courses to develop skills, knowledge, confidence and improve mental wellbeing for adults aged 19 or over (at the start of the course).
Please visit our Community Learning homepage to see if you are eligible for a free place.
You are welcome to join all or any of the following Saturday mornings, from 9.30 to 11.30am:
- 1st, 8th,15th, 22nd of October 2022
- 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th of November 2022
- 3th, 10th of December 2022
- 14th, 21st, 28th January 2023
- 4th, 11th, 25th of February 2023
- 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th of March 2023
You will learn through a variety of techniques to master this craft, including:
- how to utilise various tools in order to cut glass and ceramic to make small pieces
- choosing contrasting and complementary colours from a colour wheel
- using patterns, forms and textures from different materials to create composition designs
- exploring the different types of bases (substrates) you can work on and how these will need to be prepared for use
- knowing your adhesives
- transferring your designs using carbons, mesh materials, and papers into your mosaic
- what special treatments may be necessary to use protect your finished work
Safety is most important, so please ensure you use old clothes, such as an apron, or a protective shirt, as we are working with adhesives.
Also, it is key that you wear suitable footwear such as trainers or closed shoes, as we are cutting ceramic tile and glass.
It will be useful to bring along a notebook and A4 plastic folder to keep tutorials and designs in.o
All your materials fr making will be provided.