Community Learning – Ceramics
Our welcoming ceramics workshop is a relaxed environment to learn all aspects of pottery. You will work at your own pace with our experienced tutor’s guidance throughout your pottery journey.
Clay is a natural medium, collected from the earth and therefore offers touch therapy. Also, participation and creativity can offer relief and increase your wellbeing, having a positive effect on your day to day life! As a practical course, with group and individual demonstrations, you will implement a variety of techniques with support and encouragement to unlock your creativity.
Our Community Learning programme offers a series of free, government-funded courses to develop skills, knowledge, confidence and improve mental wellbeing for adults aged 19 or over (at the start of the course).
Please visit our Community Learning homepage to see if you are eligible for a free place.
You will explore the properties of clay and learn techniques, such as:
- forming using pinching and coiling techniques, that can be used to build anything you like
- joining techniques
- decoration (slip trailing, glazing, on-glaze painting and slip-glazing)
You will learn through a variety of ways, including:
- formal instruction
- individual tuition
- practical demonstration
- practical experience
All clay, tools and glazes will be provided.
In order to aid your learning, please bring along the following:
- a sketchbook and something to write with
- a towel
- flat shoes
- an apron/wear old clothes that you don’t mind getting messy
- enthusiasm for the subject and a willingness to learn
You may also wish to bring a pair of washing-up gloves, hand cream and a dust mask.
You must wear flat shoes as this is a safety requirement. Working with clay can get very messy!
You are welcome to join all or any of the following Tuesday afternoons, from 1-3pm:
- 4th, 11th, 18th of October 2022
- 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th of November 2022
- 6th, 13th of December 2023
- 17th, 24th, 31st of January 2023
- 7th, 21st, 28th of February 2023
- 7th, 14th, 21st, 8th of March 2023