This five week course will introduce you to the creative possibilities that this exciting and fragile medium offers. The tutor will introduce and reference the charcoal work of various artists that will inspire and demonstrate the effects that are possible to achieve using this very tactile medium. Techniques covered during the course include composition, structure, scale, volume, creating texture, landscapes and portraiture.
Tutor demonstrations throughout the course will show how effects and textures can be achieved using charcoal. All abilities are welcome, from beginners to more experienced artists wanting to experiment and challenge themselves.
- Practical demonstrations
- Opportunity to experiment with materials and explore various techniques
- Individual tuition as well as group discussion
- Techniques to further explore & improve your skills and confidence
- The opportunity to develop your skills according to your specific needs
- Producing finished artworks including still-life, landscape and portrait drawings
You will learn through:
- practical exercises that will develop your confidence
- tutor demonstrations to explore techniques and effects
- 1-1 discussion and guidance from tutor
- group discussion to evaluate work and progress
- analysis of artists work
- learning through fun experimentation
The following basic materials will be provided:
- cartridge paper
- putty rubber/rubber
- cotton buds
You may wish to bring your own materials such as coloured paper and charcoal pencils.
Please wear old clothing or an apron.