Ceramics on Monday: Mixed Ability
This is a practical, workshop-based ceramics pottery course with group and individual demonstrations of a variety of techniques.
You will work at an appropriate pace with your tutor’s guidance.
You will learn how to wedge and knead clay, and learn the step-by-step process of how to throw a pot on a potter’s wheel under the patient and friendly guidance of our experienced tutor.
More experienced potters will get tips on how to improve their technique, throw more complex forms, and be given suggested exercises to help do so.
Techniques covered include:
- Making methods: pinching, coiling, slabbing, press moulding, modelling/sculpting and wheel throwing
- Decorative materials: glazes, underglaze colours, metal oxides, coloured slips, relief built and incised surfaces (including sgraffito)
- Develop a feasible ceramic design of own choice or at the tutor’s suggestion
- Resolve any problems and be aware of areas for improvement
- How to apply health and safety guidelines
Teaching methods include:
- formal instruction
- individual tuition
- practical demonstration
- practical experience
Furthermore, you will get the opportunity to develop your skills according to your own specific needs.
No experience needed, you work at your own pace and level.
All students are supported by the tutor throughout each project.
The cost is inclusive of tuition, clay, glazes, and kiln space for up to two firings necessary to complete the pieces created.
You will need to bring:
- a sketchbook and something to write with
- a towel
- an apron/wear old clothes that you don’t mind getting messy
- enthusiasm for the subject and a willingness to learn!
You may wish to bring hand cream and a dust mask. If you have sensitive skin, you may also wish to bring a pair of washing-up gloves.
You must wear flat shoes as this is a safety requirement. Working with clay can get very messy!
If you want to keep practising, you can return for another class, or sign up for one of our weekly, mixed-discipline evening classes.
Please be aware that this is a mixed-ability class and space in the pottery is limited.
This course will run term time only.