BSc (Hons) Zoo Management (Top-up)
This programme seeks to expand your knowledge and understanding of wild animals and their captive management and behaviour beyond the scope of the Foundation Degree.
You will study a range of modules (theoretical with practical application) related to captive management of exotic species.
During this course you will benefit from the following:
- Taught by expert, passionate tutors with industry experience.
- Extensive grounds which include ancient woodland, species rich grassland and wetland areas. Rich fauna, including protected species of bats and amphibians.
- Friendly learning environment with small class sizes and excellent student support.
- Merrist Wood College is highly regarded in the animal industry as the leading animal education establishment in Surrey
- Animal Management Centre including facilities such as a desert biome, tropical biome and nocturnal room.
- Industry experience provides an invaluable opportunity to work in a variety of settings to support your chosen career path.
Course duration: 1 Year full-time. This course can also be taken on a part-time basis over 2 years.
Home/EU* Fee for September 2023 entry: £8,000 per year
Please note: Tuition fees are published for the first year of entry only and may increase in subsequent years both for new and continuing students in line with an inflationary amount determined by the Office for Students.
*Fee information for European Union (EU) students: If your course starts on or after the 1st August 2021, you will no longer be eligible for financial support from Student Finance England unless you meet one of the following criteria:
- you are able to benefit from the citizens’ rights agreements
- you are an Irish national living in the UK or Republic of Ireland – benefits of Irish nationals under Common Travel Area guidance arrangement will continue
Additional costs include:
Optional trips for work experience, especially if you wish to volunteer overseas, as some of our previous students have done. Additional printing over and above the £10 allowance provided by the college, and the cost of books that you might wish to purchase.
We strongly recommend that you purchase a laptop for your course.
If you need any further information or guidance, please contact us at HE@activatelearning.ac.uk
On successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- acquire, interpret and analyse information and apply a critical understanding of the appropriate context for their use
- explain the behavioural and welfare needs of animals and how management systems meet those needs
- recognise and use appropriate theories, concepts and principles from a range of disciplines
Zoo Management Foundation Degree (or suitable equivalent subject) with a minimum Pass profile.
Plus a minimum of Grade C/4 at GCSE for English, maths and science.
A minimum IELTS score of 6 /TOEFL equivalent is required for those for whom English is not their first language.
Continue your studies with a Masters degree in a range of specialist areas or apply for membership of professional bodies including the Zoological Society of London, Institute of Biology or the British Ecological Society and attend further courses.
A range of career options are available including but not limited to:
- Zoological collections
- Wildlife management
- Conservation and ecology
- Scientific research
- Conservation education
Applicants should apply through the UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) website. All courses will be listed under Activate Learning on the UCAS website.
You are advised to ensure that anti-tetanus protection via a course of injections or booster is up to date prior to the commencement of the course. You should also ensure that you have adequate clothing for outdoor work in inclement weather. Fees shown are per year. Please contact the College if you require further information.
The academic regulations for this programme can be found on Kingston University’s website.
Applicants should apply through the UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) website. This includes students already at Merrist Wood College. All courses are listed under Activate Learning on the UCAS website.
International fee: Please contact the HE Admissions Coordinator, Sue Taylor on email@example.com
For more information, please contact the HE Admissions Coordinator, Sue Taylor, on firstname.lastname@example.org
Merrist Wood offers accommodation for new and existing full-time students who wish to live in our halls.
Alternatively enrol by phone quoting DG02HF0A009P or ask a question