Art of the Sketchbook: Explore drawing techniques by making your own sketchbook
Don’t know where to start with a sketchbook? Feeling overwhelmed or not sure how best to get your ideas down on paper? This course provides a basic introduction to what a sketchbook is and how different artists use them to communicate ideas or record inspiration when they are out and about.
Sketchbooks are crucial to artists as a means of getting your ideas and thoughts down on paper, over the six weeks we will explore drawing materials and techniques gaining confidence as we go, exploring mark making, your sketchbook being a great place to try out ideas, make experiments and take risks.
You will learn:
- how to use pencil, graphite and chalks
- shading techniques with line and tone
- how to draw from observation
- we will touch on perspective and think about both drawing to record, and selecting drawing subjects
- how artists have approached using their sketchbooks
- to reflect on the best way for you to record your thoughts, feelings and ideas
The programme will be taught through:
- real time online classes
- online handouts will be provided for each class so you can remember the ideas we discussed.
You do not need expensive or complicated materials, throughout the course we will be using:
- a variety of papers in different shapes, sizes and textures
- a sketchbook
- graphite pencils
- an eraser
- fine liner pens and fixative (or hairspray!)
For your first class please bring a set of graphite pencils, rubber, ruler, sharpener and a sketch book of your choice (A4, A3).
At Activate Learning we are offering a broad range of online painting and drawing courses. Why not try:
- Ink and Pen Drawing
- Observational Drawing
- Drawing Spaces Inside and Out